Sunday, January 13, 2008

Orchid Garden,Singapore

Today I am taking to Singapore. We lived there for quite a while and loved it too. On one weekend when I was homesick , ‘A’ took me out and kept the location a secret – He said you will love it . The taxi took us deep and deep in greenery .
In Singapore there is greenery everywhere amidst the concrete jungle . It is fondly known as the Garden city . And trust me when I say there is no city in this world as clean as Singapore –not even Zurich(here there are cigarette butts fallen everywhere on the ground)
Ok coming back to where I was .. the taxi took us into woods .. now woods are not common in Singapore . So I sat on the edge of my seat looking out of the window trying to figure out where ‘A’ is taking me .. And then finally I saw – Mandai Orchid Garden !!!

Orchid is the national flower of Singapore.

Mandai Orchid Garden is 2 hecters of vintage display in the garden showcases a large variety of orchids on an open hillside. There are over 200 varieties of orchids which are grouped into major families namely Mokara, Dendrobium, Vanda, Aranthera, Renantanda, Aranda and Garammatophyllum speciosum (Tiger Orchid).
A wide variety of orchids are displayed in massed beds out in the open. The sloping hillside on which the beds are laid out is a stunning view to behold when the plants are in full bloom. The garden also includes the famous Water Garden, organic herb and spice enclosure, a fruit orchard, and a hydroculture plant tour and propagation garden.
I was simply hypnotized by the beauty and the vibrant colours of the Orchid. The Management does lot of experimenting with the flowers and grow new varieties. No doubt there is a different Orchid named after a actor or a famous personality.
I saw Aishwarya Rai and Shahrukh Khan’s Orchids too…

‘A’ was really fascinated by my fascination for the Orchids and that’s how we have so many of my photos with the pretty flowers ..


I got a Candlestand from the gift shop which has 2 orchids embedded inside the glass as if they have frozen in time .. always fresh as the memories of the Orchid Garden I have…




For more info: http://www.mandai.com.sg/orchids_garden.html


No comments: